A few ideas for fruit based cakes…more coming soon.
Paradise Apple Cake (IBS Friendly if not also gluten intolerant)
1 1/2 c white sugar or sucanat
3 c flour (sub 2/3 cup with coconut flour for extra fiber)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 c applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
3 medium apples (peeled, cored, thickly chopped)
6 egg whites
1/2 c chopped nuts
- Preaheat oven to 350.
- Coat an angel food pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl sift 1 cup of the sugar with flour, cinnamon & baking soda.
- In a small bowl, mix applesauce and vanilla together and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat eggwhites until soft peaks.
- Slowly add remaining 1/2 c sugar and beat until the whites hold glossy peaks.
- With clean beaters combine the applesauce with the flour mixture and then fold in apples and nuts. Slowly fold in the egg whites until no white streaks remain.
- Pour mixture into prepared angel food pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Place on rack to cool and then carefully un-mold.
Apple Pudding Cake
4 cups chopped apples
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups sugar or sucanat
Mix together and let stand for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 9×13 pan. After apples have rested, add:
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Pour into greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.