Did I get your attention? How many of you have heard the new trend that nuts should be consumed on a daily basis to aid with coronary issues? I think this is a terrific way to consume your daily portion of nuts. It sure is yummy and is made for those of us who like sweet more than salty! Thanks to Elena for doing the experimenting to come up with these almost-guilt-free turtles.
Candy Bars (Makes 18 small bars…I halved the recipe)
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (I omitted)
2 teaspoons celtic sea salt (I only used 1/2 tsp total)
2 cups pecans, chopped
1 cup almond butter
½ cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups dagoba chocodrops
You can skip steps 1-5 if you would rather just toast your pecans in a toaster oven. I did so to cut down on fat & sodium, not to mention 500 in my oven sounded way too hot for today.
1. Preheat oven to 500°
2. Warm grapeseed oil and 1 teaspoon salt in a large saute pan over high heat
3. Add pecans to pan and cook for 3 minutes
4. Remove pecans from pan and immediately transfer to a baking sheet
5. Place pecans in 500° oven for 3 minutes, remove and cool
6. Warm almond butter, agave, vanilla and ½ teaspoon salt in a saucepan over medium heat
7. Remove from heat and stir pecans into almond butter mixture
8. Spread batter into a 8 x 8 inch pyrex dish and freeze for at least 1 hour (I lined it with foil first)
9. Remove from fridge, cut into 1 x 3 inch bars; place on small (parchment paper lined) baking sheet
10. Melt chocolate in saucepan over lowest heat possible
11. Drizzle chocolate over each bar
12. Sprinkle bars with remaining ½ teaspoon salt (I skipped this, I can’t comprehend salt on my chocolate)
13. Freeze and serve (These get gooey quick so store in fridge or freezer)
As soon as I tasted these I knew it would be way too easy to eat too much very quickly. I cut my bars into small bite size pieces and then just dropped a dollop of chocolate on top of each one. Taste test to find your ratio, but even this chocolate lover thought less was more. I love that I can now make myself a treat that is high in protein, uses healthy fats, doesn’t have any refined or artificial sweeteners in it, and tastes YUMMY!!
If I can remember, I’ll take a photo next time I have these out of the fridge. Elena has a pretty good photo on her site though.